Skip to main content

Installing Windows 10

Mudiver 9 Rep.

Windows 10: Over writing an OS has never been considered a best practices scenario.  Since Windows 3.1, it was taught to me to always retain the orginial disk or floppy. I paid for this knowlege and it has paid off many times, a true life line many times.  In fact today my system will not except the update overwrite. How do I find the IOS file so I can do a clean install, if possible using my Windows 7 key.

Kiran Kumar answered
Kiran Kumar 48 Rep.

You are right, upgrading an OS to next version is sometimes a messy process because Windows carries previous old files, settings, user profile apps, etc to new version of Windows and this process is not always smooth. Several times this creates conflicts with Windows system files permissions and a possible mess up in running programs and apps. In fact this is one of the reason why several people are facing the problem of ‘Start menu, taskbar not launching’ after Windows 10 upgrade. Hence it is advisable to do a clean install of Windows 10 after backing up personal data.

1. First step is to create a Windows 10 installation DVD or USB. We have published a detailed post on our TWP Blog.
  2. Keep your Windows 7 product key ready.
  3. Now you can proceed with Windows 10 installation using the installation media you created.
  4. According to your scenario, you have never installed Windows 10 in your computer. So enter the Windows 7 product key in place of Windows 10 while doing the clean install. Windows 10 will accept Windows 7 key for free until July 29, 2016. For those you upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 using Windows update, Windows 10 will automatically get activated after clean installation.
Kiran Kumar answered

Login

Question stats

• Active
  • Views678 times
  • Answers1 answer
  • Followers1 follower

Categories